The Muir Wood’s Bohemian Grove was formerly known as the Bohemian Club Summer Encampment. In September 3, 1892, a 70 foot tall Daibutsu Buddha was erected. It was modeled after the Daibutsu of Kamkura and was made of lath and plaster. Since the materials of which this Buddha was made of deteriorates over time, by the late 1920’s there was very little left of this statue.
The place where this statue was erected on was later and better known today as the Bohemian Grove. It was at this very spot that the Bohemian Club – a men’s art club originated. Before the club transferred its gathering venue from Muir Woods to a privately-owned land, members usually held a two-week, three weekend camp for some of the world’s most powerful and richest men.
The club is an exclusive all male club that was formed in 1872. In 1878, one of its founding members, Henry “Harry” Edwards announced that he was moving to New York for career advancement. A hundred club members held a going-away party in his honor at the Redwoods in Marin County. The success of the party for Edwards gave rise to the annual gathering of its members at various places but mostly in Marin and Sonoma County.
The tallest of the trees in Muir Woods is to be found at the Bohemian Grove and it is the nearest to the Visitor’s Center.